The International Co-operative Day / International Day of Co-operatives is celebrated on the first Saturday of July every year. Its aim is to increase awareness on co-operatives and promote promote the movement's successes and ideals of international solidarity, economic efficiency, equality, and world peace. The International Day also aims to to strengthen and extend partnerships between the international co-operative movement and other actors, including governments, at local, national and international levels.
The International Day: background
- 2016: "Co-operatives: The power to act for a sustainable future"
- 2015: “Choose co-operatives, choose equality”
- 2014: “Co-operative enterprises achieve sustainable development for all"
- 2013: "Co-operative enterprise remains strong in time of crisis"
- 2012: "Co-operative enterprises build a better world"
- 2011: "Youth, the future of co-operative enterprise"
- 2010: "Co-operative Enterprise empowers women"
- 2009: "Driving Recovery through Co-operative Enteprise"
- 2008: "Confronting Climate Change through Co-operative Enterprise"
- 2007: "Co-operative Values and Principles for Corporate Social responsibility."
- 2006: "Peace-building through Co-operatives."
- 2005: "Microfinance is OUR business! Cooperating out of poverty"
- 2004: "Co-operatives for Fair Globalisation: Creating Opportunities for All"
- 2003: "Co-operatives Make Development Happen!: The contribution of co-operatives to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals"
- 2002: "Society and Co-operatives: Concern for Community"
- 2001: "The Co-operative Advantage in the Third Millennium"
- 2000: "Co-operatives and Employment Promotion"
How to celebrate International Day?
- The messages of the ICA and United Nations are translated into local languages and widely disseminated to co-operators, media, government officials at all level.
- Use newspapers and radio programmes to create awareness! Issue a press release on the occasion of the International Day of Co-operatives. For example, in 2014 the US Overseas Co-operative Development Council has released its Press Release for the Day (which can be read here). It covers the projects it oversees in terms of co-operatives encouraging sustainable development throughout the world. In the US, the Neighboring Food Co-op Association sent a customizable press release to its member food co-ops. Their member, the Monadnock Food Co-op used the template to publish its own release - click here to read it.
- Co-operative Fairs, exhibits, contests, and campaigns are held.
- Meetings with government officials, United Nations agencies and other partner organisations are held.
- Co-operatives partner with community agencies to champion economic, environmental, social and health challenges (blood drives, tree planting, etc.)
- Cultural events are sponsored - theatre, concerts, etc.
Let us know
Let the Alliance know how you celebrate the Day! Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with reports, pictures, videos made at your celebration of the International Day of Co-operatives. And be sure to add your event to our events calendar.