How are you celebrating #CoopsDay?
In 2018, the International Day of Cooperatives is on the 7th of July.
With "sustainable consumption and production of goods and services" as theme in mind, cooperators selected the 2018 International Day of Cooperatives (#CoopsDay) slogan: Sustainable societies through cooperation.
Both reflect the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal number 12 which is ‘Responsible Consumption and Production’. Sustainable societies are ones that reflect the environmental, social and economic limits to growth.
Cooperatives with their values, principles and governance structures have sustainability at their core and are different from other economic models in that they do not exploit the planet’s limits.
How are you celebrating it?
At the International Cooperative Alliance we want to how cooperators all around the world will be marking it. Please, send us your plans at firstname.lastname@example.org and use the hashtag #CoopsDay
We will use this information to create a global map of the events that will take place on this special day.
The statement, logo and full Cooperators guide will be distributed soon, stay tuned.
About the International Day of Cooperatives
The International Day of Cooperatives is an annual celebration of the cooperative movement happening on the first Saturday of July since 1923 by the International Cooperative Alliance. Since 1995, together with the United Nations, we have been setting the theme for the celebration of #CoopsDay through Committee for the Promotion and Advancement of Cooperatives (COPAC), a multi-stakeholder partnership of global public and private institutions that champions and supports people-centred and self-sustaining cooperative enterprises as leaders in sustainable development. The International Cooperative Alliance is a founding member.
Previous themes of the International Day of Co-operatives
- 2017: Co-operatives ensure no one is left behind
- 2016: Cooperatives: The power to act for a sustainable future
- 2015: Choose co-operatives, choose equality
- 2014: Co-operative enterprises achieve sustainable development for all
- 2013: Cooperative enterprise remains strong in time of crisis
- 2012: Co-operative enterprises build a better world
- 2011: Youth, the future of co-operative enterprise
- 2010: Cooperative Enterprise Empowers Women
- 2009: Driving Recovery through Co-operative Enterprise
- 2008: Confronting Climate Change through Co-operative Enterprise
- 2007: Co-operative Values and Principles for Corporate Social responsibility
- 2006: Peace-building through Co-operatives
- 2005: Microfinance is OUR business! Cooperating out of poverty
- 2004: Co-operatives for Fair Globalisation: Creating Opportunities for All
- 2003: Co-operatives Make Development Happen!: The contribution of co-operatives to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals
- 2002: Society and Co-operatives: Concern for Community
- 2001: The Co-operative Advantage in the Third Millennium
- 2000: Co-operatives and Employment Promotion